Monday, April 4, 2016

Modernity Has Not Been Kind to the Celt

Via comment by indyjonesouthere on Majority of Americans Now Support Donald Trump’s P...

  

 
Introduction: Why You’re Not Going to Like Anything I Say

I moved to the mountains of southwestern Virginia in August of 2008. Granted, I was relocating to the New River Valley (i.e. Blacksburg) so I didn’t really get to see the heart and soul of this area until I moved out into the country two years later. Nevertheless, it became clear to me, as I hit the Bedford County line that summer afternoon and saw the Blue Ridge rising up in front of me, that I was entering a different world. As it would turn out, the deep, dark hills of western Virginia are different from the plains and coastline in many ways.

Like many in this part of the world, I’m a big fan of the TV show “Justified.” Not only is it well-written and well-acted (and unlike so many television serials, well-ended), but it evokes rural Appalachia in a way that few forms of media are able to do these days. To quote a song from a different time, “Justified” captures the suffering, the sorrow, the glory, and the shame of the mountain culture that has been sadly degraded by its communion with the larger society around it. Truth be told, though, if you’re a native of the mountainous parts of the rural Southeast, your exit from the physical plane probably won’t be at the hands of a career criminal like Boyd Crowder or some violent Oxycontin addict. It’s much more likely that your departure from this mortal coil will be due to the adipose tissue surrounding one or more of your vital organs.

14 comments:

  1. If he hates us with such contempt; Why does he live among us.--Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Ray, this is Apollon Zamp. I replied to you on Gates of Vienna and I'll reply to you here. I realize you think I hold mountain society in contempt, and nothing could be further from the truth. I love where I live, and I want to see it flourish. What I hate, and have contempt for, are the governmental policies that have brought Appalachia to its knees.

      I hope you'll go over my words again with that knowledge in mind. Thanks for reading and I'll hope we'll meet again with a greater understanding of each other.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting another well written article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, RebPirate. This is Apollon Zamp in an Anonymous comment-bomb. Glad you liked it. :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for posting another well written article. A sad tale when you get right down to it, but the truth of what's happened to our united States is a sad tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the truth of what's happened to our united States is a sad tale.

      Sad, it is.

      Delete
  4. Celts will fight. Ask the Brits about a lovely place called South Armagh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or Culloden or Stirling Bridge...(in the interest of fairness)...
      -Apollon Zamp

      Delete
  5. I read this piece while at work from the link at WRSA and was amazed at how many of my personal traits mirror these people. One after another, after another. It basically described me personally.

    It's probably because my Father was Double Irish and my Mothers side goes back clear to the Revolutionary war with many relatives from all over the South.
    I know there is Scots-Irish in that bunch too because I actually met my Great Aunt way back in '76 who lived alone in a small shack with one light bulb hanging by the wires and no running water way back up in the Ozark Mountains of Tennessee who told me of some of my distant relatives. It seems I come by my orneriness genetically after all.
    ;)
    I thought it was a very well written piece that tells of history that is never talked about.

    You do know that the term "redneck" comes from the Scots-Irish, yes?
    Not many people know that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems I come by my orneriness genetically after all.
      ;)

      :)

      ====================

      You do know that the term "redneck" comes from the Scots-Irish, yes?

      That does ring a bell now that you mention it. Thanks.

      You do know that the term "redneck" comes from the Scots-Irish, yes?

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Phil. This is Apollon Zamp, author of the article in a multi-pronged comment-bomb. I love where I live, and my writing of the piece was in no small part based in my observation of the modern-day descendants of the Ulstermen living in Appalachia today. I hope that my fondness and affection for this place and its citizens came through...and yes, Irish (and Gaelic) traits will always out. Sláinte.

      Delete