Thursday, March 24, 2016

The Harassment of the Hammonds – Act I – Decade of the Eighties- Scene 5 – May 2, 1988 – May 9, 1988

 hammond-family all

Note: Numbers shown thus, {nn} refer to PDF page numbers in the “Hammond Legal Trailing Part I” PDF file.

In a letter from Fish and Wildlife Services, dated May 22, 1988, on letterhead, though, apparently never sent {107-109}.  It is a response to Dwight’s plight, after his meeting with Shallenberger, and references that meeting. There is no indication of who edited the document. The strike outs (light and by pencil) in that draft that are quite telling:

I am writing in response to your formal appeal regarding actions taken by the Service to regulate Your cattle trailing operation at Malheur National Wildlife Refuge. I have reviewed the correspondence surrounding this issue and have discussed the topic at length with staff from the refuge and Regional Office. I have also discussed it with Rob Shallenberger following his visit to your ranch. I’d like to express my appreciation for the courtesy you showed Rob and the information you shared with him. I’m sorry that I did not have the time available in my schedule to make the trip to Malheur myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment