Wednesday, March 23, 2016

My Buddy, Cousin James Is Gone

James Pinckney Townsend Obituary

1945 - 2016

WEST POINT - James Pinckney Townsend, 71, of Manquin, Va., passed away peacefully at his home, Queenfield Farm on Monday, March 21, 2016. Born on February 22, 1945, James graduated from Virginia Tech, class of 1967. James was a member of the VPI Corps of Cadets and served in Vietnam in the U.S. Army, honorably discharged as a First Lieutenant.


**********************


March 23, 2016

So sad and heartbreaking. I'm deeply sorry, but will remember the happy times. I spent a few weeks some summers working with James and Frankie on Queenfield and at Aunt Elizabeth's funeral James told Dixie a story about me: He said Aunt Ellen Douglas raised Brock with strict manners and one day as we ate cereal on the back porch before going to the fields, Frankie and I picked up our bowls and drank the milk at the end. As Brock looked enviously at us he asked my Mother "Aunt Mary may I do that also?" James always thought that it was hilarious.

--Brock Townsend

13 comments:

  1. Brock,

    Sorry for your loss. Just keep in mind that as long as anyone who knew him is alive, he will live on in their memories.

    Hbbill
    Somewhere behind enemy lines
    Peoples Republik of Kommiefornia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. as long as anyone who knew him is alive, he will live on in their memories.

      Indeed, to live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.

      Delete
  2. Please accept my condolences in the hour of your loss.

    May you be comforted by the angels of our Heavenly Father.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks and just remember the good times. I'm going to have Eastern NC barbecue and beer at mine, so come on down! I was also thinking of a Dixieland band, but maybe that's overdoing it. :)

      Delete
  4. My condolences on your loss. It is always hard to have one pass that we were close to, especially someone out age.

    God Bless,

    Terry
    Fla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. someone out age.

      Thank you and yes, he probably only had a few beers all his life, didn't smoke, worked hard on the farm and is gone while I who have abused everything possible am still here.

      Delete
  5. Sorry for your loss Brock. I know a retired Dr. who is a Va Tech grad and turned 71 yesterday so I suspect he might know your cousin. I printed out the obit for him. CH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I printed out the obit for him

      Great. I'd like to see if he knew him.

      Delete
  6. So sorry to hear of your loss Brock. I'm glad you have such happy memories though.
    Also safe travels and a happy return on your trip home.
    Miss Violet

    ReplyDelete
  7. From my Sister Anne

    Louise & I went to James’ funeral yesterday, It was a beautiful sunny day , When we arrived, the church had been full for an hour & chairs were set up in an add on building that they have built since you were there. There were in the neighborhood of 300 people. After the church service we went to the grave, It was a military service with the flag draped coffin. As you know he was in the Army at the same time you were during the Viet Nam War. The 2 soldiers removed the flag from the casket & folded it into the triangle & presented it to Rebecca. It was all very moving. After that we went back inside. You have never seen such a bountiful table & wonderful food. Many family members asked about you & Henry. I gave Rebecca your condolences & how much you would liked to have come. I sat with Guy & Emily for lunch. I am so very fond of them. Before we headed home we drove by Queenfield The house was locked up as Rebecca & family were still at the church. In back of the house are many silos, barns etc. It is a shame they are so close. I don’t think any Townsend sells milk anymore. The big barn across from William Guy has been restored beautifully by the man who bought the farm. We drove by Uncle Hugh & Aunt Elizabeth’s. Howard & his lady love live there & plan to be married in June. He is a piece of work to say the least. Hope all is well with all of your girls ....................

    ReplyDelete