Sunday, February 21, 2016

State Sovereignty Paramount

 http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418EC4LUvAL._SX315_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Jefferson Davis and other West Point graduates of his time were taught from Rawle’s “View of the Constitution,” and understood that should a State subvert its republican form of government, “the national power of the Union could be called forth to subdue it. Yet it is not to be understood that its interposition would be justifiable if a State should determine to retire from the Union . . . The secession of a State . . . depends on the will of the people of such a State.”
Bernhard Thuersam, www.Circa1865.com   The Great American Political Divide

State Sovereignty Paramount

“On my way home from Boston I stopped in New York once when the ex-President of our Confederacy and Mrs. Davis were there in the interest of his book, and I went to see them.

“Mr. Davis,” I said, “had I come from the South I should be laden with loving messages from your people. But even in abolition Boston you are held in high esteem as one sincere, honest and earnest.”

“Yes,” he said, “though we disagreed on many issues, I believe I held the respect of my fellow Senators from Massachusetts.”

“But you were not a secessionist in the beginning, Mr. Davis, were you?”

“No; neither in the beginning nor the ending,” he smiled.

“But to me the sovereignty of the State was paramount to the sovereignty of the Union. And I held my seat in the Senate until Mississippi seceded and called upon me to follow and defend her. Then I sorrowfully resigned the position in which my State had placed me and in which I could no longer represent her, and accepted the new work.

I was on my way to Montgomery when I received, much to my regret, the message that I had been elected provisional President of the Confederate States of America. I regretted it then and I have regretted it ever since.”

(Words From Jefferson Davis, Confederate Veteran, March 1913, page 108)

1 comment:

  1. So the great old Constitutionalist was corrupt. Should
    have known. Who cares if he was killed or just died
    though it would be nice to know for my conspiracy sake.
    By Scalia s great service to the nation they mean Scalia s service to corrupt corporations.
    http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2016/02/20/scal-f20.html
    This came off of Paul Craig Roberts site.
    Ralph Nader said much the same.

    ReplyDelete