Saturday, January 9, 2016

I’m an Oregon rancher. Here’s what you don’t understand about the Bundy standoff.

Via David

The Obama administration has pushed our livelihood to the brink.

This week, the Ammon Bundy-led seizure of a federal wildlife refuge thrust Oregon’s ranchers into the spotlight. While I don’t agree with the occupiers’ tactics, I sympathize with their position. Being a rancher was always challenging. And it has become increasingly difficult under the Obama administration.

I grew up in a ranching community in northeast Oregon. Even as a kid, I knew I wanted to be a rancher. After eight years as a firefighter, I’d saved enough to start my own business. I wanted to work on the land, raising delicious, wholesome beef for our growing population.

For almost a decade, I’ve done just that. Most days, I’m up before the sun rises. I spend my mornings tending to my horses, dogs and livestock. In the winter, when it’s bitter cold, I’m outside with my cattle, making sure their water isn’t frozen and that they’re properly fed. In the summer, I often work 15-hour days, cultivating my crops and tending to the animals. In the afternoons, I’m in my office, reaching out to customers and handling the ranch’s business side. Over the course of a given day, I act as a vet, a mechanic, an agronomist and accountant.

I love the work, but it’s grueling.

1 comment:

  1. You have the grateful appreciation of all who have benefit ted from your work and efforts. And while the tactic’s of the Oregon Ranchers at the Refuge weren’t exactly elegant, they are within the rights of the constitution. Had the Federal government and these agencies they hire on the peoples behalf, remembered who they ultimately were designed for and had not become bloated and ineffectual in their pursuit of working for the people, this never would happened. Or needed to happen. There’s nothing wrong with realizing agencies need to be restructured and changed when they have lost direction.

    And there’s nothing wrong with doing some house cleaning of these agencies and even removing a few from the list with something even more effective. Actually, for this country to survive it’s imperative.

    So thank you and the Ranchers who are in Oregon giving the people back their voice, a choice and control of this dream.

    Bless you,

    Boo

    ReplyDelete