Thursday, December 24, 2015

This shrapnel damaged M1911 is relic from Battle of the Bulge (13 PHOTOS)

Via Adam

Although the handgun may look no worse for ware from some angles, the unfortunate soldier who carried it likely came out less lucky

“Today I held hell in my hands,” said a firearms buff who came across a battered 1911, pockmarked from its wartime service before it was recovered from a World War II battlefield.

Some 71 years ago this week, Hitler launched the last great German offensive through the densely forested Ardennes region near the intersection of the eastern borders of  Belgium, France, and Luxembourg.

Codenamed “Operation Watch on the Rhine” over 200,000 Germans, including some of the most crack units remaining in the Army at the time, fell upon just 80,000 American troops, including many units such as the 101st Airborne, who were under strength following heavy losses and looking forward to some time in a “quiet area” to regroup.

More @ GUNS

4 comments:

  1. I don't think that was an artillery shell. I think he tripped a "bouncing betty". That guy was fragged by an airburst going off between his belt and tit, just outside and in front of his right leg. His buddy MIGHT have tripped it, but I kind'a think it was him from how close together the fag's were. Ether way I think he was inside the kill radius for that weapon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was quite some force to pock mark the metal that way. It is hard to believe that was 71 years ago. My how time does fly. When I was a boy I'd sit around and listen to the "old timers" and veterans talk about the Bulge. My grandaddy on my daddy's side was there. After my generation passes, or surely the next, people who had a direct link with men who fought in that war will be gone and the heroes and exploits will be as distant as those of the Roman Legions. It is things like this cause to realize your own mortality. Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete