Friday, October 9, 2015

Reconstruction Continues…

 Lincoln_and_Johnsond

I spent some time perusing my son’s sixth grade history book. I didn’t read it from back to front (yet), but just glanced through it. However, in that short span of time the fallacies, distortions and half-truths were pretty staggering.

To begin with, the book is definitely not on a sixth grade reading level. My child is, in his personal time, reading books about cars that were written for adults, and as a result, his understanding of that subject far surpasses my own. What this tells me is that he is certainly able to comprehend a “history” textbook that should be written on a much higher reading level than his is. I’d suggest that his history book is more along the lines of (what should be) a third or fourth grade comprehension.

I can recall reading The Guadalcanal Diary in the fourth grade, and would suppose that my reading skills at that age were probably in line with the average reading level of my classmates. Today’s kids are reading below their level because the curriculum is written below their level. There is little “challenging” about this book in that regard.

No comments:

Post a Comment