Wednesday, September 9, 2015

How many rounds can an AK fire before it breaks down?

Via commander_zero

 battlefield vegas

Ron from the Las Vegas gun range Battlefield Vegas, where, like many Vegas range’s they only allow their rental guns to be used,  shared some thoughts on how different AK rifles fail after tens after thousands of rounds (the above photo shows 30 days worth of 7.62x39mm steel shot at their range, of which 80% would have been fired by AKs). Ron writes at AR15.com …
 

– The one thing I can say about the AK’s is that they hold up MUCH BETTER than the RPD’s. I thought for sure that RPD’s would last so much longer because of the milled receivers but the receivers only last about half the life (if that) of a Romanian WASR.

 – Every single stamped receiver has suffered from a cracked trunion. This includes Saiga, Arsenal (Bulgarian), Norinco (Chinese), Arsenal (Russian stamped), WASR, Hungarian, Polish (vintage kits), Yugo (vintage and PAP-series) and new Polish (from Royal Tiger imports).

 – We have every type of AK available to shoot except for Cuban, Vietnamese or North Korean.
 

 – US (Century), Bulgarian and Chinese milled receivers have yet to fail.

                                                             More @ TFB

15 comments:

  1. Excellent post, and neat to know that a maintained AK will survive 80k rounds. I chose milled just because rivets give me the creaps, and working on old cars will tell of sheet metal fatigue. Check out the ultimate AK meltdown on YouTube, Iraqveteran8888. Full auto wasar barrel drooped at 265 rounds. Tweaked with a tree and a trailer hitch and made it function again. Try that with a dead AR;) I'm not a Glock fanboy, but the Glock 19 meltdown was epic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tweaked with a tree and a trailer hitch and made it function again.

    :)

    the Glock 19 meltdown was epic

    Did you ever read/see the Glock Torture Test?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen a few, the g19 with a steel guide for went full auto1200 plus rounds. Frame finally melted. I just can't get past the commie grip angle. They are legendary firearms for certain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Correction, Glock 18, 19 is not FA. Once again not an expert, or a fanboy. Just impressed;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was referring to the 21 from 10 years ago and why I bought one as well as a 30 later on. Thanks.

      http://www.namsouth.com/viewtopic.php?t=1418&highlight=glock+torture+test

      Delete
  5. Coincidentally, that's the same number it takes to hit your target.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never picked up a glock till I went to a shooting range with local police officers. Drilled a target at 10 yards with a wore out glock 21. My wife shoots a 19 well so I picked up another one so we are both on the same page. I'm at the point in life where if it ain't broke don't fix it. Besides, $600 or so for another pistol will be better spent on ammo, food, medical stuff or speakers for the mustang!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gotta have my tunes. It's getting to that sweet time of year to. Take off the t tops and smell that fall air.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is only anecdotal and I don't mean it to P O the Glock world but here goes.
    I took the concealed carry course a couple of months ago. When we did the
    qualification shooting, out of all the guns used including my $250.00 Turkish built
    Sar Arms 9 mm, only 2 guns jammed all afternoon. One was a .22 LR semi-auto,
    a Ruger I think but don't remember. The other was a Glock that was the personal property of the instuctor who is also a FFL and an armorer. It jammed twice requiring him to get out his tool kit in order to take it apart and clear it. Everything else functioned flawlessly and to my knowledge there was only one revolver in the bunch.
    The rest were semi-autos. No flames please. Glock has a proven record and the
    numbers to back it up but the myth that they are fool proof is just that.... a myth.
    I'm sure it was just a bad day for that particular Glock, Maybe it was dirty or maybe
    he had loaded it with cheap ammo or inferior reloads. I don't know. CH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe he had loaded it with cheap ammo or inferior reloads.

      Thanks and their booklet clearly states not to use re-loads.

      Delete
  9. I was an LEO and RO for a few years.
    I have spent a few hundred hours on ranges and most of the guns were Glocks,either 21's,17's,or 22's.
    NEVER a jam or "alibi".
    And no FTF or FTE.
    I am sure they do fail,but I own and carry 7 of them,NEVER any glitches.
    Own many other brands and all calibers.
    SHTF = its a Glock for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SHTF = its a Glock for sure.

      Thanks. SHTF: AK's and Glock's for me.

      Delete