Sunday, June 7, 2015

How I Built a 300 AAC Blackout Suppressor

Roundabout via downeast hillbilly

 

Warning: You must have a BATFE Form 1 with tax stamp before you start to legally build a suppressor. National Firearms Act (NFA) rules apply and you can do hard prison time for violating the law.
The first step in manufacturing a suppressor is getting permission from the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) by filling out a Form 1 and sending in $200 for a tax stamp. It will take about 5 months to get the tax stamp so send it in early.
Since I had a combo lathe/mill at home that I used for making car parts I already had everything I needed to make a suppressor. I decided to go with an all aluminum "monolithic baffle" design for this 300 Blackout suppressor. The 300 Blackout uses standard .308 size bullets and is very good at sending heavy 220 or 240 grain bullets at subsonic speeds downrange accurately. The 300 Blackout can also be loaded for supersonic and makes an excellent deer rifle.
If I were building a suppressor for .308 supersonic loads I would use at the very minimum steel for the blast baffle (first baffle the bullet encounters). I have also used this suppressor on my Savage .308 rifle using subsonic 175 grain Sierra MatchKing bullets and Trail Boss powder. Subsonic .308 loads are very mild and a thick aluminum blast baffle is fully adequate.
 More @ Rob Robinette

No comments:

Post a Comment