Friday, May 15, 2015

Today,15 May is New Market Day in Virginia

Via Carl "The Battle of New Market VA 15 May 1864 was entered by the VMI Cadets 257 strong . The youngest was 15 years old and the oldest cadet was 25 years. 10 fine young Southern young men died that day and 45 were wounded. VMI cadets across the US along with other Southerns commemorate this day with celebrations on this day. God Bless the South! Long Live Dixie!"

http://turcopolier.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c72e153ef017eeb2b3850970d-500wi 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this Brock . I've walked this battlefield more than once - first with my Dad many years ago, and then with my kids as well. Was there just several years ago for another visit and also did the ghost walk/tour in Lexington the next night. One of the spots is of course Stonewell's gravesite. His wife is buried 20 yards or so away with her family and it's reported that the spirit of Old Jack walks back and forth so as to check on his wife.
    I took several pictures of Stonewall's grave site - saw nothing with the naked eye. But checking the picture later we saw a dozen or so "orbs" floating around the statue. In my heart I know it's The Black Horse Troop watching over him.
    Your friend,
    Red in OleVirginny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and are you referring to the Back Horse Cavalry?

      Delete
  2. Yes - The Black Horse cavalry. One of their assignments was at Second Manassas carrying orders back and forth for Jackson. As I understand he also used them quite a bit as guides.
    Red

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat, you'll have to visit Dixieland some time and check the two links under the picture. I was raised in Mosby Country from five until I went to Vietnam and Dixie and I are going back next month for a week. The last time we were there was for the 2009 March on DC.

      http://freenorthcarolina.blogspot.com/2011/04/confederate-memorial-day-service-sunday.html

      Delete