Friday, March 20, 2015

NC: Liberty at stake over Supreme Court Confederate flag case

Via Cousin John

H.K. Edgerton, a lifelong civil rights advocate and former Asheville NAACP president, is a nationally known Confederate heritage advocate.

March 23 will be an important and historic day at the U.S. Supreme Court. Lawyers for the state of Texas will argue that Americans deserve less freedom, less freedom of speech and the Texas Division Sons of Confederate Veterans (SCV) will argue that Americans deserve more. Simplistic? Yes. But on target.

The fight is over the insistence by the state of Texas that the SCV’s proposed specialty license plate cannot contain the SCV’s logo, which since the organization’s founding in 1896 has included the iconic Confederate battle flag. The Department of Motor Vehicle Board which oversees the specialty license plate approval process held a public hearing in 2011 on the Confederate flag plate and after what can only be termed an orchestrated hate-a-nanny against all Confederate symbolism, the board voted unanimously to disapprove the SCV plate because of the “offensiveness” of the SCV’s Confederate flag logo. Rightly believing the DMV board’s denial constituted a violation of the constitutional right of free speech, the Texas Division Sons of Confederate Veterans sued in an Austin, Texas federal court to rescind the DMV board’s ban.

8 comments:

  1. This has become a bigger deal than it should be. Everyone finds something offensive on the Texas vanity plates. I find the OU (Oklahoma University) logo on the Texas plates offensive but the OU logo is available. I just learned to live with it. Bravo to the Texas SCV for taking this to the Supreme Court. I pray that justice prevails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they should have turned it down which gives me pause for the outcome. I certainly hope I am wrong.

      Delete
    2. I understand. We shall see.

      Delete
  2. Hey! I find that Longhorn offensive! Boomer Sooner! Now, if I can just get that T-sipping wife of mine to see the light! And this is a case-in-point as to why the flag ought to fly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a damn Yankee, (born in Michigan) and I display the Confederate Battle Flag proudly. I understand it's heritage and history, a fifteen minute google search can deliver enough information. I have a T-shirt with the Battle Flag and a inscription that says " If this flag offends you, then you need a history lesson."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. " If this flag offends you, then you need a history lesson."

      :) I have one also, but since not being a v-neck, it is uncomfortable for me.

      Delete