Friday, February 20, 2015

Burglar apologizes after being captured, tied up by victims

 Not going anywhere: When John Ashton Sr and his son John Ashton Jr found a burglar robbing their apartment last week, they tackled the man to the ground and tied him up until police arrived 

A 37-year-old man suspected of burglarizing an Olympia apartment is now in jail after being tackled by a father and son who lived there.

Police say John Ashton Sr. and his son John Jr. had left their apartment Friday morning, and returned to find the front door broken and the inside burglarized.

"The door was smashed. The deadbolt bent," Ashton, Sr. said.

Moments later, they found the burglar was still inside, emerging from a back bedroom.

"And I turn that corner and (the burglar)’s standing right in the bedroom," John Ashton, Jr. said. "And his eyes light up. Bing!"

"Next thing I know," Ashton Sr. added, "(John)’s screaming over my shoulder, 'he’s here!' "

Police said the burglar apologized at first: "I'm sorry, I made a mistake and I'll get your stuff back," and tried to escape past the two, but didn't get far.

More with video  @ KOMO News

No comments:

Post a Comment