Friday, January 2, 2015

Obamacare Extortion

 http://www.sott.net/image/s10/215830/medium/Obamacare_Exchange_300x197.jpg

So far, my personal experience with the Affordable Care Act brings one word consistently to mind:

Extortion. So when politicians and beltway operatives say things like “Obamacare is the law and people need to accept that,” I’m bitterly disappointed. I’m angry and I know that the person uttering those words has probably never written a personal check for his or her health insurance premiums.

As someone who does pay for her own premiums, I like to think we can do better than suffer the type of extortion that I am experiencing as a self-employed American.

In 2015, my husband and I (both of us are self-employed) will pay $733 each month for our “Bronze” level health insurance plan. Yes, Bronze is the lowest (and the cheapest) of three levels of Affordable-Care-Act-qualified plans.

Our family deductible is $11,000. That’s very high. Here’s a reminder of what a deductible is, courtesy of healthcare.gov:

6 comments:

  1. Yup.
    and that penalty of 1 or 2% of income for noncompliance is going to be much more than $400/family member.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just make sure that you owe the government and not the other way around so they can''t collect it.

      Delete
  2. This infuriates me, something MUST be done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)

      “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
      ― H.L. Mencken

      28. "Some people are alive because it is illegal to kill them."
      Unknown
      http://www.namsouth.com/viewtopic.php?t=75&highlight=quotes

      Delete
  3. I unrealistically thought this ghetto health insurance was going to be like France
    or Germany's Universal Health Insurance, the best in the world. I mean, this is
    the USA. What a joke. What an insult. Reading that many hospitals and free
    clinics are all closing. I feel the free clinics are being forced to close. They were
    the last resort and one just paid what one could afford if anything. The one
    here in Asheville closed and has been around for 30 yrs. This, too, is communism.
    I wonder what would happen if Grady in Atlanta closed. LOL (never happen)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the free clinics are being forced to close.

      Absolutely and of course Obamacare was devised to purposely collapse.

      Delete