Monday, December 15, 2014

SHTF Armorer: Back to Basics – Rifle Accuracy

Via avordvet

 Top Survival Blog

I got a text from a co-worker this past weekend. Deer season is nigh here in Maine, and he was out doing the pre-season rifle check-up. “My 7 Mag is all over the place. I can’t shoot.” is what he sent to me.  I found this hard to believe; the man is a very experienced bow shooter; he turned down an offer to shoot competitively for a major bow manufacturer.  I asked him his setup.  It was a Ruger Model 77 Mark II in 7mm Remington Magnum, a Simmons fixed 4x scope, and cheap bargain-bin pawn shop reloaded ammo. 

I think most experienced shooters could spot a couple quick problems with that brief description, but it also brings up a valid point: if a modern, high quality gun isn’t shooting reasonably well for you, (“reasonably well” varies greatly from gun to gun and shooter to shooter, but a scoped center fire bolt-action rifle of a well-known manufacturer should reasonably be able to shoot 2-3” groups at 100 yards, benched, even with an inexperienced shooter), then there’s a pretty good chance that there’s more going on here than “I can’t shoot.

More @ SHTF

No comments:

Post a Comment