Monday, December 29, 2014

How to Shoot a Rifle Offhand

 https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/d0/6e/ee/d06eee1f809eeb735f1ce9f9d10ec9ff.jpg

Beliefs that my generation held as sacred are now null and void. If Capt. John Paul Jones were asked to surrender today, he would not answer “I have not yet begun to fight” but “Let’s work this out.

Violence is never the answer, and all these dead bodies in the ocean are an environmental hazard.”
Also, we can’t seem to shoot offhand anymore. We no longer walk; we sit. And thanks to the current long-range craze, the idea of sneaking to get a closer shot at something is as alien as going afield without four electronic devices that you consult every two and a half minutes.

Stand and Deliver

8 comments:

  1. Its been a long time since I heard about the offhand circling control method. Been using it since I was 12 years old. I was taught by an US Army Combat Veteran who served in the South Pacific in WW2. (My Dad) This method has served me well for 35 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was on the rifle team in military school and standing was my most difficult position.

      Delete
    2. In competition (Mil and Civ) we called the 200 yd off-hand the 'money round',

      Since all the other shooting positions gave you some form of support which helped to 'equalize' the line, even the most basic competition level shooter can shoot good from a stable position (Sitting, Kneeling, Prone).

      So if you could tighten up your off-hand shots, you had a better chance to place high. I probably spent double the hours practicing the off-hand than any other position.

      Delete
  2. I still use the sling I used in the Corps. I'm now 67!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great. You must have vacationed in Vietnam, I assume. :)

      Delete
  3. There are more than a few squirrels who have personal knowledge of my offhand skills. Unfortunately, none of them have internet access or they'd be happy to expound on my proficiency.

    ReplyDelete