Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Fiesta Confederada 2014


In the east of Brazil, two hours away from Sao Paulo, there's a small community that has a direct blood link with people from the southern United States. They call themselves confederados. Families with last names like Thomas, Strong or Williamson are living proof of the American emigration from Brazil that started after the Civil War. They left the devastation in the southern states to start over in Brazil, which was still a slaveholder nation. The Americans brought with them their expertise in farming, especially cotton, and helped start an agricultural revolution in Brazil. Confederado Celebration 2008





Confederado Celebration 2008

Confederados 2009

Brazil's Grey Ghosts

Confederados


4 comments:

  1. Wow, that is great. I never knew about this. When I was in Belize, I saw Amish people. I guess folks have left FUSA throughout time. I would love to go back to Ecuador, Peru or Argentina to live. -55six

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have this on July 4th each year and I would love to go. Checking yesterday and round trip was around $1,100. About 4,500 hundred miles and I guess 12K driving. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you Sweet Jesus! At least we won't become extinct.

    ReplyDelete