Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Boys Don’t Play ‘Soldier’ Anymore

Via Bill
I played Cowboys and Indians and wanted a Roy Roger's Gun and Holster set each year for Christmas.  Guess I wore them out every year. :)

Whatever happened to war heroes ? As a small boy I remember watching over and over with rapt attention the movie ‘To Hell and Back’, the story of Audie Murphy, America's most decorated hero of World War II. Feeding the imagination of a small boy with visions of heroic deeds and medals on my chest, countless times I went on to storm the beaches of Normandy in my own back yard. In my childish mind I fought through the jungles of Burma with Merrill's Marauders and defeated the Japanese. Whether it was flying alongside Pappy Boyington's Black Sheep in the Pacific, or in the jungles of Guadalcanal with Medal of Honor winner John Basilone by my side, I helped defeat America’s enemies countless times as a boy growing up.

More @ Townhall

6 comments:

  1. Yep. I killed a whole bunch of Japs and Krauts by the time I was 12. I even used REAL guns to do it. (an old mauser and an '03). That would get people locked up these days.

    --Hale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I had an 1898 which was my ground hog gun. We did have BB fights and of course never even thought of protection. My father was blind in one eye because of his fights and missed WWII because of it. :)

      Delete
  2. It's been replaced with "Butt darts" and the permanent "pivot position" for circle jerks. But at least Obama wins he gets the toast everytime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And yet, during the shoot em up generation of Cowboys and Indians, people were much more civilized. Look at society of today, The Savage Nation comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup and never a worry in the world if your child was gone all day.

      When I was a boy, my mother would say

      "If it snows, you don't see Brock from after breakfast until it's dark."

      http://www.namsouth.com/viewtopic.php?t=3286&highlight=snow

      Delete