Sunday, August 24, 2014

1967 Chevrolet Camaro, 427/450 HP: The First Camaro Delivered to Yenko Chevrolet

http://gmauthority.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Mecum-1967-Camaro-670x340.jpg

Collector Gary Holub has owned over 45 different Yenko supercars, so when he caught wind of this 1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS coupe originally sold from Yenko Chevrolet, he examined the accompanying documentation, which confirmed two very important facts: it was built on the first day of production, and it was delivered to Yenko Chevrolet on September 1, 1966 to become the first Camaro ever listed in Yenko Chevrolet’s inventory records.

Records show that it was listed on the General Motors Acceptance Corporation statement as invoice number BN00197, its first Date of Note being September 27, 1966. A later GMAC statement shows it was paid for on November 5, 1967. According to Yenko archivist Warren Dernoshek, those documents confirm that the car remained at Yenko for approximately one year, prompting the obvious question: why? Some believe that this 1967 Camaro, likely built in the 23rd hour of the first day of production, was used to develop the Yenko Super Camaro conversion.

More @ MECUM

12 comments:

  1. I know, you keep doing this to torment me, aren't cha?

    Bob
    III

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny as I thought of you as I was posting this. :)

      Delete
  2. A guy I know got in a wreck when he was hit by a UPS truck. UPS truck at fault.
    He lost part of a finger in the wreck. They paid him something over 40 grand.
    He bought a new house trailer and a Yenko Camaro and financed both. Then he
    proceeded to blow the money and about a year later he didn't have either one any more. Repossessed.

    The Yenko was fast but it had no traction out of the hole. CH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no traction out of the hole

      I assume it was a posi, so did it need street radials or......:)

      Delete
  3. Oh I am in deep, deep love. I would leave my wife, her boyfriend if she had one and the dog for this. What a beautiful car this is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brock, none of the really high powered cars of that day, Camaros, Corvettes, Mustangs, etc. with the big block engines had any traction. Too much torque, not enough
    tire and poor suspension by todays standards. It was strong but couldn't hold a
    candle to a lot of cars we have today. The place I grew up was a hot bed of
    street racing. Most of the guys chose to race top end instead of drag racing.
    There was a 4 mile long straight stretch near town with a long gradual curve at one end. They would come around that curve side by side at 100 mph and when the road got straight the race was on for how ever far it took to determine the winner. That way they didn't have to worry about traction out of the hole and they ran rear ends geared for top end speed.

    I knew one guy that had a vette much like the one you show from the message further down. He still has the L88 motor. When he came around that curve at 100 his 4 speed was still in 2nd gear.

    I don't know how they kept them on the ground much less in the narrow 2 lane road.
    CH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I had a '65 289 Hi-Po which came with a 389 rear end and I could never get it to come off clean though I had a friend who accomplished it a few times. At any rate, we always ran on a four lane highway from a rolling start. Once I was running a 426 in a big body, but automatic fortunately, as they were poor in those and as we flashed pass the mark with me slightly ahead, there were two cop cars enjoying the show, but they didn't bother to chase us. :) Another time we were lining up when a deputy comes over the hill trying to catch us at the right time, but came to early and we told him we were just talking.........

      Delete
  5. Growing up in eastern Iowa I can remember several trips to Chicago. Some buddies and I drove to Mr. Norm's Grand Spaulding Dodge. It was great to see what they shoehorned a 440 magnum or hemi into.

    Badger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat and are they still in business? I had a cab company once and put a built 383 in an old '72 Dodge Dart that had been retired from service. (Have to change the K frame going from a 318) Had an Art Carr tranny and some other goodies including exhaust, tires, etcetera. I kept all the cab stuff intact and I would use it when we were busy. Once I pulled up to the bus to pickup some Marines and one said "What is this:? :)

      Delete