Thursday, July 17, 2014

What I Don’t Like About Life in the American Police State

Via Charlie

 

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”
―Edward Abbey, American author

There’s a lot to love about America and its people: their pioneering spirit, their entrepreneurship, their ability to think outside the box, their passion for the arts, etc.  Increasingly, however, as time goes by, I find the things I don’t like about living in a nation that has long since ceased to be a sanctuary for freedom are beginning to outnumber the things I love.

Here’s what I don’t like about living in the American police state: I don’t like being treated as if my only value to the government is as a source of labor and funds. I don’t like being viewed as a consumer and bits of data. I don’t like being spied on and treated as if I have no right to privacy, especially in my own home.

I don’t like government officials who lobby for my vote only to ignore me once elected. I don’t like having representatives incapable of and unwilling to represent me. I don’t like taxation without representation.

11 comments:

  1. “The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.” (MLK)

    I think we all need to go watch "The Prisoner" again and get some pointers. Never saw the show, but now may be the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see, it states '68 -'69 which explains it, as I was in Vietnam. We did have Combat on TV though. The Vietnamese loved it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw every episode rerun on the Internet. Patrick McGoohan was great. I think he played maybe his last role as the King on Braveheart. There have been some real actors from the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been some real actors from the UK.

      Indeed they have, Sir.

      We Few, We Happy Few, We Band Of Brothers......
      http://freenorthcarolina.blogspot.com/2012/03/we-few-we-happy-few-we-band-of-brothers.html

      Delete
    2. The great Laurence Olivier gives the same speech in the 1944 film. We walked to the Plaza Theater in Asheville in 1946 to watch it. Sixty-eight years later I just watched it through tears, remembering that it was made in 1944, while my Father was in the Hurtgen Forest, living up to this speech, and nearly dying from a German mortar round. He was a great example of it for the next 51 years of his life.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9fa3HFR02E&feature=youtube_gdata_player


      Delete
  4. Wow! That was awesome. Nails down exactly why I'm so pissed off all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "This story shall a good man tell his sons."
    You model that tenet daily, sir. I greatly regret my slavish support of the NC and VA public school systems, although in the ninth grade we walked to the Plaza theater and watched Olivier in "Henry the Fifth."

    ReplyDelete