Sunday, July 6, 2014

Roastnears

Via Sister Anne

 http://img.tfd.com/wn/3C/6AF2D-maize.png

"*I was home –don’t know if I was married or not. Mother was writing letters at her desk and I was in the library. She called to me and asked if I knew how to spell roastnears. I called back and said r o a  s t i n g  e a r s . There is silence and she appeared at the library door in shock. She had never realized  where the word came from!"

*Anne graduated from UNC Chapel Hill in 1951 back when it was still sane.  My mother graduated from St. Mary's back when it was the last two years of high school and the first two years of college.  She was almost expelled because she crossed the street in front of the school with her male cousin, but without a chaperone! :)

3 comments:

  1. My Brother Henry just emailed me:

    "Mother thought the spelling was roccinears. Same pronunciation."

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a boy and had my tonsils and adenoids taken out, Daddy gave me a book, "THE ADVENTURES OF SPIN AND MARTY", and in that book, during a riding and overnight camping excursion, an old cowboy mentioned that he wished he had some "rossin ears".

    ReplyDelete