Thursday, April 3, 2014

Would you throw someone out of a lifeboat to save yourself? A terrifying shipwreck, a freezing ocean and a savage battle for survival.

Via WiscoDave

Chaos: As the ship sank, passengers and crew battled each other to fit into an overloaded lifeboat

With a cargo of immigrants bound for a new life in America, the William Brown was a ship full of hope. It had set off from Liverpool five weeks earlier, on March 13, 1841, and was nearing the end of its voyage to Philadelphia. 

A ship of 559 tonnes, it carried salt, coal and china, along with 65 passengers, mostly Irish and  Scottish families, as well as husbands and  wives joining spouses who had already made the journey from the old world to the land of opportunity.

There was thick fog as the ship entered the icefield west of Nova Scotia on the night of April 19. But rather than slowing down as other ships nearby were prudently doing, the better to avoid icebergs that might suddenly loom out of the darkness, the American captain, 48-year-old George Harris, kept the William Brown sailing at a brisk ten knots. 


Harris was an experienced sailor, but he was under pressure from the ship’s owners to complete the voyage quickly because the vessel was about to be sold.

More @ Daily Mail

6 comments:

  1. What a story - it only helps reinforce my firm policy to never get on any boat that goes out so far that I couldn't swim ashore if there was a chance of trouble, like SINKING.

    But, to the question at hand - would I kill to save myself - not at first, but how long would it take for me to change my mind? I hope I never find that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. would I kill to save myself

    or your child?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely jump over board myself to save my child. I would not kill someone else to save my child in this scenario, however... just dang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you mean, but who will protect the child? That's the quandary.

      Delete
  4. you are right - I didn't think of that. If I jump overboard, there is no one left who gives a rat's patoot about my child. Okay - it's everyone for him/herself - I'm not going quietly after all...Due to the agitated state I am in these days, this is what I would want to be like, but I can't tag my Xena Princess Warrior picture - darn!

    ReplyDelete