Sunday, February 9, 2014

An AV exclusive interview with James Otis, Jr.: On the police state


Via Jeffery


 My recent article on the police state elicited an educated response regarding the history of warrants in our land. In particular, a friend raised the name of one James Otis and related his heroic stand on the issue which led to our Fourth Amendment.

Our era of the “warrior cop,” no-knock warrants, sneak-and-peak warrants, door breaches, flash grenades, and SWAT raids on people’s homes has led many concerned Americans to fear that the Fourth Amendment is all but dead. The moment I learned of Mr. Otis’ work in this area, I knew I must track him down to get his perspective.

Apparently, through a mutual friend on Facebook, Mr. Otis heard I was looking for him. He visited me here at American Vision headquarters and offered me an interview with him. He was eager to retell his story, and what it means for every American who cares about freedom.

While some historical background needs to be explained, I thought it would be best to let Mr. Otis provide it for us as we go. I will add, lastly, that his answers reveal that he seems to have some sections of his famous tract Against Writs of Assistance memorized.

***

JM: Mr. Otis, thank you for joining us here today. You’ve been called a true American hero, and we’re honored. I understand you have expertise and experience regarding the abuse of search warrants.

No comments:

Post a Comment