Friday, January 10, 2014

NC: Thom Goolsby won't seek re-election in 2014


 http://www.thomgoolsby.com/wp-content/themes/goolsby/images/senator_goolsby2.jpg

State Senator Thom Goolsby of Wilmington announced today that he will not seek re-election in 2014.  Goolsby cited a need to spend more time with his family in announcing his decision.  “My wife and I are blessed with two wonderful young daughters and they need me at home more often than service in the Senate allows.  For this reason, I will focus on my family and law practice and not seek re-election this year,” he said.

Goolsby ran for office in 2010 promising to help enact reforms that would spur job growth.  He kept his promises and the reforms quickly slashed the unemployment rate.  When Goolsby took office in January 2011, New Hanover County’s unemployment rate was a staggering 10.3%.  By November 2013, the jobless rate had fallen to 6.7%.

“I ran for the Senate to be New Hanover County’s Jobs Senator, and I have been the Jobs Senator,” Goolsby remarked.  “I co-sponsored and successfully fought for tax reform, regulatory reform, medical malpractice reform and private property rights reform.  I helped slash wasteful spending, cut taxes and helped make the state budget solvent.  These important reforms improved our economic climate and greatly helped create jobs.”

In addition to his central policy focus on job creation, Goolsby was the primary sponsor of enacted legislation that toughened penalties for human trafficking and restored the death penalty for violent murderers.  Goolsby was recently appointed to serve on the Governor’s Crime Commission and will continue serving the public in that role.

“I am a citizen legislator, not a career politician,” Goolsby said.  “I have enjoyed serving my state and nation as a Marine Corps officer and a state senator.  I will look for other opportunities to serve in the future.  For now, I’m pleased someone else will have the opportunity to build on our successes and keep New Hanover County moving in a positive direction.”

“I offer the people of New Hanover County my deepest thanks for the honor of a lifetime: serving them,” Goolsby concluded.

No comments:

Post a Comment