Monday, January 13, 2014

Gun owner unarmed, unwelcome in Maryland

Via The Lonely Libertarian


John Filippidis, silver-haired family man, business owner, employer and taxpayer, is also licensed to carry a concealed firearm.

He’d rather he didn’t feel the need, “but things aren’t like they used to be. The break-ins, the burglaries, all the crime. And I carry cash a lot of the time. I’m constantly going to the bank.

“I wanted to be able to defend my family, my household and the ground I’m standing on. But I’m not looking for any trouble.”

Filippidis keeps his gun — a palm-sized Kel-Tec .38 .380 semiautomatic, barely larger than a smartphone in a protective case — in one of two places, always: in the right-hand pocket of his jeans, or in the safe at home.

“There are kids in the house,” Filippidis says, “and I don’t think they’d ever bother with it, but I don’t want to take any chances.”

He’s not looking for any trouble, after all.

Trouble, in fact, was the last thing on his mind a few weeks back as the Filippidises packed for Christmas and a family wedding in Woodridge, N.J., so he left the pistol locked in the safe. The state of Florida might have codified his Second Amendment rights, but he knew he’d be passing through states where recent U.S. Supreme Court decisions affirming the rights of individuals to keep and bear arms have been met by hostile legislatures and local officials.

“I know the laws and I know the rules,” Filippidis says. There are, after all, ways gun owners can travel legally with firearms through hostile states. “But I just think it’s a better idea to leave it home.”

More @ TBO

6 comments:

  1. I wonder what nationality that (Filippidis) is? It certainly isn't American. But then, he is such a good citizen. Just what the PTB are wanting. I'm sure he'll gladly give up his pea-shooter if (when) they ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, then end of the story was a big disappointment, needless to say.

      Delete
  2. Well it verifies my reluctance to take my handgun into Maryland! I think concealed carry info shows up on NCIS and probably when the camera at the end of the tunnel
    read his license plate it popped up on a screen that he owned a gun. We are living in a police state!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are living in a police state!

      & no better example than this.

      Delete
  3. "Shall not be infringed". We must keep working to not loose our God given rights. Thank you for your service to our country and your continued work on this site, I am a long time reader.

    Mickey Smith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words, Sir. Our Natural Rights are ours, period.

      Delete