Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Dark, Hulking Figure of Government

 http://floppingaces.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/tyranny.jpg

My experience with the IRS came at the height of what we now know was a period of intimidation and discrimination against conservative groups. At the time I was involved in organizing a political event in Washington, D.C. Perhaps I was naive enough to think I had to do something wrong to be targeted by the IRS.

I knew that Guardians of Liberty would shake some people up, that we would get the attention of liberal groups, labor unions, etc. I expected that and prepared for it. When the local Guido from the IRS entered my place of business, I didn't give him much thought. He demanded my records, which I explained were with my CPA. That is why I had a CPA; to get it right. The CPA did the payroll taxes and sent a package to me to sign and put in the mail with a check. I had done nothing wrong and felt no guilt or shame, it would all get worked out. No matter what he thought I had done, I knew I had not.

That began a year-long period of harassment, demanding records after records until they found a mistake I had made, an honest mistake. I still feel no guilt over that mistake, but it was that day that I go back to time after time when I think of our government.

He stood in my outer office, hovering in a dark overcoat.

No comments:

Post a Comment