Thursday, December 26, 2013

Illinois law makes flicking cigarette butts a felony, punishable with jail time

Via WiscoDave

http://a2.typepad.com/6a00e54ee06170883401901f0b397a970b-75wi

Dated

Starting next year, Illinois law enforcement will not only be ticketing you for failure to wear a seatbelt or illegal use of a cell phone while driving, they'll also be stopping motorists who flick cigarette butts out their windows.

With former Democrat State Rep. Deb Mell's bill HB 3243 now law, flicking butts will cost you. A first time conviction is a class B misdemeanor with a fine not exceeding $1,500. A second conviction is a class A misdemeanor with a fine not exceeding $1,500.

Third or subsequent convictions will be a class 4 felony, punishable by a fine of $25,000 and imprisonment not less than one year and not more than three years.

4 comments:

  1. This is one of those that I half to half-hardheartedly kind of agree with. I can not stand it when a person's flicked butt hit your car. There are also known instances where flicked butts have started fires in other vehicles that were traveling behind them.

    I do not agree with making repeated violations a felony, instead, I purpose that for each offense, the smoker loses a finger. So, by the tenth offense, these inconsiderate clods may have no other choice than to quit smoking. (Just joking).

    ReplyDelete
  2. We watched this idiotic bill from it's conception to soon to be inception. It is such a bad joke. Personally, my wife and I have never been one to litter in any manner, but this law is about as thought out as a glass anvil.
    There isn't a prison in this state that isn't already overflowing,(mostly with our past Governors, Congressmen, other political types) and they want to add to that number? I realize , it came to light as yet another illannoy revenue generating scheme, but did any of the morons involved think of the cost of incarceration? I think not. I have never been proud to say that I am from here; but, now I am truly embarrassed .

    ReplyDelete