Sunday, September 1, 2013

Tennessee to roll out “No Refusal” blood-draw DUI checkpoints for Labor Day

Via Hype And Fail

 Police "no refusal" checkpoint in Tennessee (Source: NewsChannel5.com)

  Labor Day: another holiday, another excuse to push the limits of the police power over citizens.  All across the state, Tennessee police will be performing another round of highly-publicized “no refusal” blood-draw DUI checkpoints this weekend.  With police armed with a 2012 law that allows them to forcibly extract blood from drivers, its a bad time to be a citizen who does not consent to searches.

Forcible blood draws began in Tennessee in 2009, being used only for cases of vehicular assault.  In all other circumstances, the blood draws were not forcible.  They could be declined, with the understanding the DUI suspect’s driver’s license would be suspended.  Tennessee calls it the Implied Consent Statute.

That changed January 1, 2012, with the enactment of a new law that took away that choice for suspects to decline with a license suspension.  Ever since the law took effect, police can obtain rubber-stamped warrants to forcibly extract blood from any driver they decide is a DUI suspect.

10 comments:

  1. This is where it crosses the line. This far and no further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. & difficult for me to fathom being in TN on top of all else.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure they would get one, eventually.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. What some good cops need to do is start stopping members of the legislature and start doing blood tests on them and their family members......see how they like it.....law won't last long after that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But the cops like it. They like the control they have over the "citizens"

    Take that away and they'll all be disappointed little thugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was mad as hell when I woke up one morning in the hospital with a band-aid on the inside of my right elbow. The nurse said, "Well we needed to draw blood and you were asleep, so we went ahead."

    If that infuriated me you surely don't think I would accept this from cops. Damn them all to a firey Hell, I say.

    I remember when I liked Tennessee, now I won't drive or ride through it. The whole country is coming to this except, I hope, Texas.

    ReplyDelete