Saturday, August 3, 2013

WBTS Confederate flag donated to Virginia museum

Via SHNV

 
“I assure you, it will stop people in their tracks."
- Becky Poulliot, executive director, Hampton Roads Naval Museum

********************************

A Confederate flag that flew in the Civil War has reportedly finished a 148-year journey — and will now be displayed in a Naval museum in Virginia.

Capt. Henry Hendrix, director of the Naval History and Heritage Command, accepted the flag from the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Historical Society during a July 31 ceremony in Dayton, Va., Military.com reports.

In 1865, Lt. William Ladd, a Union soldier, took the flag off the Confederate States Ship Hampton as it sank into the Potomac River.
More @ Fox

4 comments:

  1. There is an identical flag to that one but in much better shape at the Old Brunswicktown site museum between Wilmington and Southport NC.
    It is the flag from Fort Anderson. I saw it yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say it's exactly like it, the layout is the same but I'm not sure the one I saw has the gold trim along the bars like the one in the picture. I tried to slip a picture of it with my cell phone but the museum was too dark and for some reason my flash didn't fire.
    It was behind glass so even if it had fired I probably would have only gotten a reflection. It's a large flag, I'd say at least 4' x 6' but I'm inclined to think it's more like 5'x 7 or 8'. I'm not sure what ratio of length to width those flags were.

    ReplyDelete