Saturday, August 3, 2013

Veteran Joshua Severance Handcuffed & Detained For Legal Open Carry In Vermont

joshua-severance

Joshua Severance was seemingly minding his own business en route to his father’s house when he spotted a police cruiser. Severance happened to be carrying a 9mm semi-automatic handgun that was clipped to his belt and very much legal in Vermont. The gun was not concealed because it was hot and Severance had removed his shirt. But in Vermont open carry is perfectly legal.

WCAX reports:
Milton resident Joshua Severance says he was visiting his father in Rutland City and it seemed like a typical Monday. The 26-year-old was walking down Summer Street to get to his father’s apartment.
“There was a cruiser sitting there parked, and it saw me. I had my firearm on my side, had my shirt off because I was hot, minding my own business just walking along, cops saw me,”
Severance said. Severance says the police then stopped him and began asking him questions about the 9 millimeter semi-automatic handgun clipped to his belt. He says he was expecting questions about the gun he legally owns, but wasn’t expecting to be handcuffed and detained.
While the police ran background checks, the National Guard veteran says he felt disappointed at the way he was being treated. “I can see pulling somebody over and asking them to look at the firearm or check the serial number to see if it comes back stolen, but putting somebody in handcuffs and throwing them in a cruiser and treating them like a criminal from square one– I don’t agree with,” Severance said.

No comments:

Post a Comment