Saturday, August 17, 2013

Lee County NAACP Misguided in Fight Against Robert E. Lee Portrait

Via Billy

 

 

The Lee County, Florida chapter of the NAACP has decided to wage a crusade against a Robert E. Lee portrait that hangs in the commission chambers. Lee County NAACP president James Muwakkil said the portrait of the Confederate general is “a symbol of racism and division,” and that the NAACP will picket Lee County.

However, the charge of racism and division is extremely misguided when one critically examines Lee’s life and record in the mid-nineteenth century.

It must be noted that Lee was no wild-eyed secessionist, had no desire to break up the Union, and shuddered at the thought of fighting fellow Americans. In a letter to his sister on April 20, 1861 explaining why he resigned from his army commission, Lee wrote:
With all my devotion to the Union and the feeling of loyalty and duty of an American citizen, I have not been able to make up my mind to raise my hand against my relatives, my children, my home. I have therefore resigned my commission in the Army, and save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword. I know you will blame me; but you must think as kindly of me as you can, and believe that I have endeavored to do what I thought right.

More @ Breitbart

4 comments:

  1. there are lines that better not be crossed...if they do, there is truly trouble ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is my never to be humble opinion, that Robert E. Lee was one of finest Americans this country has ever produced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely.

      http://freenorthcarolina.blogspot.com/2011/01/person-i-admire-by-dixie-and-daddy.html

      Delete