Saturday, July 6, 2013

Why I carry the Battle Flag

 https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg2IKlkC_X6QPlbWUweVmUyrQzOsE1nA99VYMu-MyDr86uikgkZ9uOXljTukSyHX-RG_XVuGejod8JyeELpFSTldUOSf22pzmal_SzAcXMWp7q28Pt52K9laMYygBKI5FlRTKqBdZ0bcDA/s320/435_10151708819539274_1044138382_n.jpg 
RIP PoPs.  You won't have any Yankees up there to fight with.:)

Just a few months after I began flagging, I was attending a local War Between The States event alone, and was carrying my Confederate Battle Flag. I was approached by an older gentleman in the local SCV. He introduced himself and said he wanted to talk with me. He began by telling me that he was proud of what I had been doing and that he appreciated my efforts. He then went on to say that he thought that I would be much better off, and have more success, if I would stop carrying the Battle Flag, and carry the First National instead. He told me it would be much safer, cause less controversy, and would be less "offensive".

He may have been the first one to give me such a lecture, but he has not been the last. I have been told it was "unlady-like" to walk through the streets of Richmond with my Battle Flag with the SCV at the 2012 Heritage Rally, and scores of folks online and in person, mostly within our own Heritage community, have urged me to carry a different flag.

My response was, and always has been, that EVERYTHING I do is about the Confederate soldier. I carry the ANV battle flag because all four of my G-G-Grandfathers who fought in the WBTS, served under that flag. It is the SOLDIER'S FLAG. I love all of the Confederate flags, and often carry different ones for different occasions, but my first love always has been and always will be the Confederate Battle Flag. 


No comments:

Post a Comment