Wednesday, July 3, 2013

III to III – Affordable body armor plates

Via WiscoDave

 http://www.pinnaclearmor.com/images/metal.jpg

Patriot Plate

What’s offered: Full sets of Mil-A-46100 NIJ III plate armor to include 2 10×12 front/back plates and 2 6×8 side plates. You will also get a 4×5 test plate for your shooting amusement. Angle cuts made on front/back plates to facilitate weapon usage. (REMEMBER that all sizes and dimensions are nominal – they’ll be close but…)

How this came about: I was looking for a set of armor for myself. I was looking at $400.00 and trying to figure out how to explain that to my wife. I’ve been in the metals analysis testing/foundry field for over 30 years and figured there had to be a less expensive way to do this.

Research showed me that I could purchase and cut armor from .25″ 4×8 sheets and significantly reduce the armor cost. Two types of plate came to mind: Mil-A-46100 and AR500. Both are good materials. Mil spec is about $200 more per sheet but I feel that it is a better material for this application.

Pricing: I want to be open and honest about this so no one can feel that they weren’t dealt with on a reasonable basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment