Friday, April 26, 2013

A Letter From An Aging Patriot

Via WRSA

 http://hcl.harvard.edu/hfa/images/films/2006summer/vietnam_pig.jpg

I recently received an email from an older Patriot concerned about his role in the III% movement.  His email along with my response is posted below.
I am 59 years old. I am a Vietnam Era Air Force veteran who has never seen combat or fired a weapon at a human being. I am an Oath Keeper, in my own mind at least. In my younger days I was an above-average athlete. I was given my first firearm by my WWII combat veteran father at age 12.
In the past few years I have been lurking the internet for III-per information and contacts. I fancy myself a III-per but the embarrassing fact is that I have no combat experience, and as I age I begin to think I would be more of a hindrance to an active III-per unit than a asset. I am still fairly healthy and strong. All my parts work. I can do about a 12 minute mile.
I have made substantial investments in AR platforms in 7.62 and 5.56 with ACOG optics. I also have built a Remington 700 (.308) long-range rifle with HorusVision optics and I am very accurate at up to 300 yards. I am sure I can add to that effective range. I have better-than-avaerage woodcraft skills. No plate carriers or LBE.
I have acquired basic handgun training and I am proficient but certainly no expert.
I have not been trained in the tactics of any kind.
Am I kidding myself to think that I could actually serve in an active III-per unit if TSHTF?
Would you have someone like me in a unit you were leading, or tell me to beat it?
I am not asking to be coddled. I am asking what it would be like to be you, if you had to choose between allowing an old man into a unit simply because he had gear and could shoot fairly well, but would surely slow down a unit of 20-year olds.
Thank you for your honest comments if you have the time.
- Aging Patriot
I understand your concern that you aren’t combat experienced but neither were most of the original III%.  And neither are most of the III% community today.  As a very unscientific estimate of the US population, it’s something like 1% in the military; of which maybe 50% have been deployed to an actual combat zone (I don’t know the exact percentage); and perhaps 10% of that fraction have trigger time.  Very, very few people.  There are active militias out there that have no combat experience among their ranks.  There are plenty of Americans like you; but combat experience isn’t a prerequisite to defend the Liberty and security of the Republic.

5 comments:

  1. I'll take a whole truckload.

    And dammit, we're not the resistance. We're the Real Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd take them too. Who the hell is going to train all those young awakened Americans who've never been through boot camp, if the older veterans don't? NCOs are the backbone of any army, even armies that scarcely know that they're armies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that what he's trying to say, and I agree with him, is this: "Tell the band to strike up the music, because if they wait too much longer to call the tune I'll be too tired to boogie."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I imagine many of the Vietnam era troops are awaiting their last hurrah.

      Delete