Monday, April 8, 2013

Man Facing Charges After Killing Bear In His Backyard


A 76-year-old Auburn man is facing charges after killing a bear in his backyard.

Richard Ahlstrand told WBZ-TV he was stocking his bird feeder Friday night when a bear about seven feet tall and 300-to-400 pounds started chasing him.

That’s when he turned his shotgun on the bear.

“I didn’t have time to aim through the sights, but I aimed in the direction of the head on this thing and I pulled the trigger before it got to me.  It just dropped,” he said.

Ahlstrand said he was carrying the shotgun Friday night because he thought he saw the bear in his yard Thursday.

“If that ever jumped on me, I wouldn’t even be here right know, I don’t think.  I know it was going to seriously maul me,” he said.

Ahlstrand is now charged with illegally killing a bear, illegally baiting a bear, illegal possession of a firearm and failing to secure a weapon.

More @ CBS

4 comments:

  1. Unbelievable.

    Well...not really.

    Eerily similar to when I defended myself from two attacking Rottweilers in my own yard.

    I saw them. They ran off and I lost them. I went outside to do some yard work (armed). They reappeared and charged.

    I fired once in self defense.

    Shenanigans ensued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shenanigans ensued.

      Makes no sense at all, though no unusual these days. One advantage of living in the country is that you just bury what you killed and no one thinks twice about shots being fired.

      Delete
  2. Yep. Here in the 'burbs, apparently one is supposed to allow oneself to be gnawed upon.
    Or use mace, or a baseball bat, or a shovel...none of which were available to me at the time.

    Well...homie here ain't gonna get chewed on, and I'll use the most effective tool for the job to make sure of it.

    Just so happens 9mm S&W Model 39-2 with hollow points was that tool. (Wish I still had it. Lost it in our last barn fire.)

    I just winged the bastard, but they both ran off...one of 'em leaking from its big dumb head...and not a scratch on me.

    Mission accomplished, I'd say...although the neighbors weren't too thrilled.

    ReplyDelete