Sunday, March 31, 2013

Wounded soldier says he was kicked out of mall for using Segway

 Trost was riding his Segway, a device that keeps his leg from hurting, through Foothills Mall.

An injured war hero says he was unfairly kicked out of Foothills Mall in Maryville. Master Sgt. Michael Trost is unable to walk for extended periods after suffering four gunshot wounds while serving in Afghanistan.

Trost was riding his Segway, a device that keeps his leg from hurting, through Foothills Mall.
That's when a security guard told him to leave.

We covered Sgt. Trost's grand homecoming last spring. The whole community even came together on a construction project, to make his life comfortable, after he spent months in the hospital.

Several surgeries later, he has chronic nerve pain in his legs, and uses a Segway that was given to him through a program that helps out wounded vets.

"If I walk long distances my leg will start hurting. My sciatic nerve was severed, and I can't go long distances. I need to take a break," said Sgt. Trost, showing us the device, and explaining why he needs it.

On Thursday, he was at the Maryville mall, searching for a pair of jeans.

"A security guard approached me and said I was going to have to take out the Segway. I told him it was an ADA, or a handicap piece of equipment. I had the handicap sticker on it. He goes, not in this mall," described Sgt. Trost.

More @ WATE

No comments:

Post a Comment