Monday, March 4, 2013

Self-Igniting Fire Starter

Via Ol' Remus


 

I am always on the lookout for a new fire starter, and when I find a new idea, of course I have to try it out!

Well I have found a new interesting concept and I thought I might share my attempt with it.  It is a fire starter that has an ignition source, an accelerent, and fuel, all in one.  And an additional benefit is they are waterproof!  The idea here is to take a Strike Anywhere match, wrap it in toilet paper, and then dip it completely in paraffin.

I can’t take the credit for this idea as I saw it a few months ago on a YouTube video by the “intenseangler”.  I don’t recall how I happened upon the site, as much of it has to do with fishing,  but I was glad I did.

In the video, the small Strike Anywhere matches are used, which requires that the toilet paper you wrap around it be cut into thirds.  I don’t have any of the smaller Strike Anywhere matches, only the large kitchen type.  Therefore I was able to cut the toilet paper squares in half, making the Self-Igniting Fire Starter longer, and therefore larger.  It is recommended that you use a “soft” toilet paper and I used Charmin Ultra Soft, two ply, as this is all we use.

I will, as usual, use a photo format to explain what I did as it is easier to understand by seeing the process.  Of course, this isn’t brain surgery, and is a pretty easy process.  If you are interested in the video you can check it out at the channel indicated above.

More @ Dirt Time

No comments:

Post a Comment