Monday, February 25, 2013

Situation Report: Tight Silver Markets & Food Price Inflation

 British_trench_periscope_Cape_Helles_1915

It’s been a quiet few days on the FreeFor Internet circuit, including this very small, humble part of it. I think that’s a good thing because FreeFor writers and readers both need to have a healthy prioritization of time in the Real World, not Internet World. When New Rhodesia goes Full Zimbabwe, it’s going to be your Tribe’s small, local Real World that counts. Download what you need and print what is really valuable on tangible paper now, while you still can.

This post will touch on a few things, not being sure if they weave a coherent story.

Last week my tax refund came in, so as I wrote about earlier, it was time to redeploy fiat currency proceeds from Regime defunding to better uses. Part of that was buying some junk silver. I went with a close friend and associate and fellow Rhodie Patriot to the coin dealer to stock up, mentioning on the way over: “If it’s as hard to get silver as it is to get ammo lately, that will be a sign that things are really on the verge.”


I was able to get a nice allotment of half dollars, and when paying, I asked the dealer if he was seeing tightness in the physical silver market. He strongly and immediately replied to the effect that yes, the market had been tight for several months and was getting even tighter – he said the half dollars I’d gotten had pretty much cleaned him out. There were some quarters and dimes left, but no Maple Leaves and no American Eagles. He also said he was getting calls from other dealers who were totally out of physical silver inventory seeking some of his.

On the way home from the coin dealer, I hit the grocery store, and made an incremental addition to my food storage. It really wasn’t more than about $85 worth of canned goods, but the checkout clerk commented: “Stocking up, huh?” I avoided engaging on that issue, just mumbling about “buying in bulk when prices were good.”

The issue at the store that presented squarely was inflation: I’m telling you, it’s happening now, in a big way. I buy the same array of staples for my food storage mostly from the same store, so I know what they tend to cost. Since Christmas time, soup prices are up 25 to 35%, pasta prices are up 7%, and coffee prices are up 12% to 14%. If you want a non-sexy investment recommendation for 2013, here it is: add to your food storage.

2 comments:

  1. I am seeing the same thing, in that silver is no longer in large quanities at my local coin shop.

    ReplyDelete