Thursday, February 7, 2013

Idaho Bill: “Atlas Shrugged” To Be Required Reading For Students

I would choose Bastiat's The Law read in 7th grade of our Robinson Homeschool Curriculum.

 http://jakealford.com/jea/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric-Bastiat.jpg

Idaho State Senator John Goedde (R) introduced legislation on Tuesday that would require Idaho secondary student to read and pass an exam on the 1957 novel “Atlas Shrugged” by famed author Ayn Rand. The legislation is though to be mostly a symbolic move to teach “personal responsibility.”
The bill reads:
“The student shall obtain a passing grade on the examination in order to satisfy the graduation requirement provided for in this section. Such examination shall be approved by the state department of education.”
According to Goedde, the bill is more of a protest to the State Board of Education’s decision to roll back online class requirements.

“Traditionally in Idaho, the State Board of Education sets graduation requirements in rule,” Goedde wrote in an email to Fox News on Thursday. “They recently repealed a rule dealing with online class requirements and failed to move another rule forward dealing with administrators demonstrating proficiency in evaluating teachers. I felt both were important and wanted to remind them that the legislature could also set graduation standards.”

7 comments:

  1. I have two pieces to add here, being from Idaho.

    This is a necessary addtion to the law which is doubtful to pass.

    Next is this piece, as to why. It is bad news but presented as it describes our current state. 29 Years ago, a KGB defector laid it out.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3nXvScRazg

    Now some good news, I hope...

    http://www.naturalnews.com/038970_gun_control_backfired_America.html


    III

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3nXvScRazg

      Yes, I remember it as 1982, but it may well have been 1984. Hmmm, 1984?:)
      ================
      Now some good news, I hope...
      http://www.naturalnews.com/038970_gun_control_backfired_America.html

      Yes, a good piece and I posted that a short while ago. We are fortune to have Mike Adams as well as Eric Peters, both strong 2A defenders in fields unrelated. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I'm a big fan of Atlas Shrugged and it will certainly benefit anyone who reads it; however, it might be of more benefit to simply require the teachers and administrators to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it might be of more benefit to simply require the teachers and administrators to read it.

      Bingo!:)

      Delete
    2. I am an Idaho lover (just returned from there)as well as a Bill of Rights lover. There's something about the phrase "required reading" that rubs me the wrong way. I have read more than most in the seventy five years I've been at it, chaired two library boards and a school board and never told (I have suggested books) my kids or anybody else's kids, "It is required for you to read this."

      Davy Crockett said, " "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." I would extend this to the State House.

      I really don't think as a late-in-life Libertarian I should demand anybody read Libertarian literature, (except maybe principals and teachers) and I read Mises Institute every day. Maybe that's why I have so few friends left.

      Delete
    3. Maybe that's why I have so few friends left.

      Hilarious.:)

      Delete
    4. My master goal in life is to leave them laughing.

      Delete