Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Rand Paul on Bill of Rights, Indefinite Detention and Firearms

 Nuclear option destroys the Senate

.........If the Majority Leader is going to push rules changes with a simple majority vote, I shall push some ideas of my own.

I pledge to fight back by proposing my own array of rules changes if Reid launches his first strike. I intend on offering a new rule to mandate that the budget be balanced each year.

Another idea I have is to offer a new rule making it virtually impossible for the Senate to consider a bill that violates the Bill of Rights. To use a recent example, under this new rule I would be empowered to raise a point of order against legislation allowing the indefinite detention of American citizens, as such a provision is in direct violation of the constitutional right to trial by jury.

If legislation restricing the rights of Americans to defend themselves with a firearm were to be introduced, I could raise a point of order forcing a two-thirds majority to approve that legislation.

These are merely a few ideas of the many I have been drafting up for Senate consideration next January.

No comments:

Post a Comment