Saturday, January 12, 2013

A Time to Kill


VERBATIM

I am a soldier.  I know what war looks like, what it sounds like, smells like, what it feels like in my soul.

I stand today in the twilight of my nation’s grace, looking into the darkness of impending war.
My sleep is troubled, knowing what awaits, yet the ignorant and the ‘true believers’ sleep easily in their delusions, and I am saddened by it.

Daily, I see the Blackhawk and Apache helicopters flying over my city, the military vehicles which appear so frequently now on our roads, often with ‘guns up’ in violation of Posse Comitatus, and I know why they prepare, that it is not far off.

Nightly I hear the report of gunfire near my home, the noise angry men make as they prepare to boil over.  These are not soldiers – they are but angry men.  And though I share their well-justified anger, I am cautious with them, for they are not disciplined, and they know not the face of war, nor the burdens it imposes upon mind, body, and soul.  Because of this, they are dangerous, and I am saddened by this – that dangerous men should roam the streets near my home, full of anger and the lust for vengeance.

All about me are the ceaseless murmurs of soulless politicians and media propagandists, who wear their agendas on their sleeves as a badge of superiority, and the boundless echoes of their contrived ‘message’ assaults me from all sides, even repeated from the mouths of dear friends, and I am saddened by it.

I bear witness to the fact that throughout my lifetime, the lifeblood of my republic has been drained away by greedy and self-serving men, from high to low, who contrive nought but deception against their neighbors and countrymen, and who fail to consider that their children and mine shall share the same fate, the same future, and I am saddened by it.

But I am a soldier, and I know what must be done; and so I shall put away my sadness and I shall harness up the bitter steed of war, and gird myself up for the battle; and I shall ride out to meet the enemies of Liberty; not in rage, not for anger sake or the hope of vengeance; but because I swore an oath before God, to jealously guard our Republic and its Constitution against all enemies;

Him I shall not disappoint, for He is my Hope and my Trust.

Therefore, as much as my soul laments against the harsh truth before me, I make this declaration to my enemies who press me into this battle, that none shall be able to afterwards say “I did not know, you did not warn me”;

I do not care why you took that job with the government, or why you continue to hold it.  I only know that you have become Judas and sold yourself to an oppressive state - your government office buildings and vehicles are part of the battlefield, and as a soldier I shall act accordingly.

I do not care why, as a journalist, you choose to spin and corrupt the news, rather than report the plain truth and let the people judge for themselves.  I only know that you have violated the public trust in the most vile and seditious manner, and thus your homes, offices, studios, vehicles, and any other place you may find yourself are part of the battlefield, and as a soldier I shall act accordingly.

I do not care why you signed that union card.  I only know that you pay dues to a communist organization which conducts treasonous works against my Republic daily – and so your union hall and your work-sites are part of the battlefield, and as a soldier I shall act accordingly.

I do not care that you only voted for the traitor because you are elderly/disabled or otherwise dependent upon government largess.  Are you so ignorant and/or disinterested that you could not see through their propaganda, to the fact that your sustenance was assured either way?  What have you gained now that the public housing areas you live in, and the public facilities you depend on are part of the battlefield?  Though I am a soldier, I can afford you little protection, for you have placed yourselves on the battlefield.

I know that all of these places and all of these people are part of the battlefield ,not just because I am a soldier, and have experienced a few battlefields in my day; but also because our President declares that even our own homes are on the battlefield, whether we wish them to be or not, and I have no choice but to believe him; it’s not just that the NDAA passed – a battlefield is not defined by law; it’s the profound build-up of martial power and resources across my once-great nation which tells me a battle is being prepared here.  Over two billion rounds of ammunition procured by DHS and its sub-agencies in the past 18 months, plus machine guns in the tens of thousands, armored vehicles, combat aircraft, drones, and other implements of war being staged throughout our nation, our home – how do you explain that except as the preparation for battle?

I will fight not because I desire it, but because I cannot justify any other course of action – when the enemy attacks, you must fight – you must kill or you will die.  

I smell you, my enemy; I can feel the ambush you have laid for me and my true countrymen, all about like a sticky spider’s web, yet we will not back down, and though you will kill some of us, you will not get us all before we have finished with you.

I stand here, ready, on the eve of battle, and I ask God why I have been brought to the threshold of this battlefield, about to be thrust in, when I though my soldiering days were through; and I am reminded that there is by His decree, a Time to Kill, as well as a Time to Die…  who am I to question why?

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Ah, hah! My third daughter, of five, didn't like me to read the poem, as it frightened her, as did the The Highwayman, one of my favorites.

      `Forward the Light Brigade!'
      Was there a man dismay'd?
      Not tho' the soldier knew
      Some one had blunder'd:
      Theirs not to make reply,
      Theirs not to reason why,
      Theirs but to do & die,
      Into the valley of Death
      Rode the six hundred.

      Delete
  2. I would be honored to share any battleground with a soldier such as you. As on who also has taken the oath, I've got your back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theirs but to do & die

      Drummed repeatedly into my head, as was Come back with your shield or upon it.

      Delete
  3. So we read the resolve and the honor of one who has served.
    As we all should, share the commitment of defending our Republic with a RIGHTEOUS cause, as he.
    As another has so rightly said, "God Bless The Republic, Death To The New World Order, We Shall PREVAIL!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alas, there is a often a difference between thos who will swear an oath, and those who will live by it. Oaths are mighty things, full of mystery and consequence. In the first part, they separate the brave from the foolish, and in the second, they separate the committed from the fair-weather friend. For this purpose, oaths are sworn before God, that all who enter the oath shall be judged thereby.

    God save us from the foolish and the fair-weather friend, and plainly establish us amongst the brave and committed brothers who founded our great nation, the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave. Cement us in perpetual and hallowed union by your holy decree, and remove from among us those unbecoming of Liberty by Your true and mighty judgement.
    Amen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God save us from the foolish and the fair-weather friend, and plainly establish us amongst the brave and committed brothers who founded our great nation, the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave. Cement us in perpetual and hallowed union by your holy decree, and remove from among us those unbecoming of Liberty by Your true and mighty judgement.

      Very well spoken.

      Delete
  5. I've read this twice - here and via Pete's - and it seems to me that it is cautionary to us as well, in addressing the rightfully angry men. This could go from bad to worse in so many ways. Anarchy is the handmaiden of tyranny.

    This isn't me channeling beck channeling ghandi. This is me hoping we don't lose everything by trying to get it back.

    Long train of abuses vs light and transient causes. Its a hell of a puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anarchy is the handmaiden of tyranny........This is me hoping we don't lose everything by trying to get it back.......Long train of abuses vs light and transient causes. Its a hell of a puzzle.

    Indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anarchy is the enemy of goodness, wherever it rears it's ugly head. Only 'well regulated' men - that is, those who know goodness in their hearts and follow it in their deeds - can keep Liberty for their own, all others will abuse it and ultimately destroy it. Of this, we have been warned... so yes, these angry men of whom I speak are those who are not well regulated, and thus are a danger to Liberty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reminded me of Lee's Letter somewhat.

      You must study to be frank with the world. Frankness is the child of honesty and courage. Say just what you mean to do, on every occasion, and take it for granted that you mean to do right.

      If a friend asks a favor, you should grant it, if it is reasonable; if not, tell him plainly why you cannot; you would wrong him and wrong yourself by equivocation of any kind.

      Never do a wrong thing to make a friend or keep one; the man who requires you to do so is dearly purchased at the sacrifice. Deal kindly but firmly with all your classmates; you will find it the policy which wears best. Above all, do not appear to others what you are not.

      If you have any fault to find with any one, tell him, not others, of what you complain; there is no more dangerous experiment than that of undertaking to be one thing before a man's face and another behind his back.

      We should live, act, and say nothing to the injury of any one. It is not only for the best as a matter of principle, but it is the path of peace and honor.
      http://www.namsouth.com/viewtopic.php?p=1633#1633

      Delete
  8. "I shall begin with a definition.... Anarchism: The philosophy of a new social order based on liberty unrestricted by man-made law; the theory that all forms of government rest on violence, and are therefore wrong and harmful, as well as unnecessary."

    "Anarchism, then, really stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion; the liberation of the human body from the dominion of property: liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. Anarchism stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals for the purpose of producing real social wealth; an order that will guarantee to every human being free access to the earth and full enjoyment of the necessities of life, according to individual desires, tastes, and inclinations." "Anarchism... is the great, surging, living truth that is reconstructing the world, and that will usher in the Dawn."

    ReplyDelete