Sunday, October 14, 2012

Vann Nath - 1945-2011.

Go there once, you won't go back. 

================================

 VERBATIM

Queen Vic Knives was saddened to hear of the passing of  Cambodian painter Vann Nath after a long battle with chronic kidney illness.

Vann Nath was one of only seven prisoners to survived S-21, the genocide prison situated in Phnom Penh, set up by the Khmer Rouge in the 1970s.

His skill as an artist was recognised by the prison guards, and he had to paint portraits of Pol Pot and other documents of the Khmer Rouge regime.

S-21 was described as "the place where people go in and never come out''.

Here's some of his paintings, plus a clip from German Public TV ARD that first aired in 1997, and another clip from Al Jazeera from 2009.

I hope you like our small, but humble tribute.





 










2 comments:

  1. That fifth picture down remined me of some of the horrible things that I read about the Nazis doing. Images I wish I did not have in my head. I had to finally quit reading about WWII..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the other side.

      http://freenorthcarolina.blogspot.com/2011/06/rape-of-german-women-after-germany-lost.html

      Delete