Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Death of Johannesburg

Roundabout via Nancy

Nancy – it keeps coming to me.
 
Looks like the middle of Kinshasa. My wife worked for Air Portugal after the war in Durban and we flew to Europe a lot – freebies. One engine shut down and the TAP plane had to land in Kinshasa and we had to wait two days literally barricaded in a hotel as the streets were too dangerous – this is mid 1980s. What a nightmare of a place. The airport runway was littered with wrecked planes. If you go on google maps and google Kinshasa airport – and zoom down – I did the other day – you can still see planes just abandoned – I am talking about large passenger type planes.
 
Jeremy.




So sad to see the collapse of this once wonderful City, Johannesburg. I personally witnessed much of the degradation as I worked there for five years. Here I've put it all together thanks to deathofjohannesburg.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment