Friday, October 26, 2012

Escape and Evasion Operations, Part One: Planning Considerations

 

(I would like to apologize to all readers for my extended absence from the blog. HH6, TMO, and myself spent the last month on the road, conducting training classes, and slipping in a visit to family along the way. In 20 days, I conducted two training SUT classes, including night-live fire iterations of battle drills in one of those, and drove over 8000 miles. Upon our return home to our new operational area, we just signed a contract to purchase 40 acres in the mountains, and are preparing to build a range facility, a house, and livestock pens–probably in that order. Because the new place doesn’t have grid-power, and our alternative power system will require some time for me to make the money to install, my posting on the blog will be limited to when I can get to town and find Wi-Fi. Bear with me folks, I’m not giving up the fight, I just have to develop my family’s security at the same time. Thanks for hanging in there! –J.M.)

(To begin, for readers who are still on active-duty, I recognize that the doctrinal term for escape-and-evasion/recovery has been changed to “personnel recovery.” I grew up with E&E and have no job requirement to change my terminology, so it will remain E&E. –J.M.)

Escape-and-evasion operations are a traditional task of Special Forces in the UW paradigm. It is also a historically critical resistance operation. Much of the following section of this discussion will revolve around the doctrinal theory behind E&E operations, with much more specific details to follow in sequel articles.

Escape-and-evasion operations consist of five essential tasks that must be completed simultaneously and/or in sequence. These tasks consist of Report, Locate, Support, Recover, Repatriate.

Report

No comments:

Post a Comment