Saturday, August 25, 2012

War Story





Jim Morris


"Think I'll get to keep the arm?".........

"Yes"........

"You don't suppose there is any chance I could stay in Nam, you know, do it all here, you know?"

"No......you're going home."

Oh no, my mind thought as my feeling sank. No, I'm home now. What I'll be doing is going back to the nightmare world of lines to stand in and forms with numbers in little blocks to fill out. That world with all its picayune irritations. No, better by far the total involvement in some monster crusade like Vietnam than being eight-to-fived to death in some foul little job in some foul little office somewhere. Better by far to wind up, as I had once predicted, dead in a rice paddy, face down with my guts in my hand, than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment