Thursday, June 28, 2012

What a disaster for the Democratic Party

Interesting aspect and brings up the political issue as my last post did. John Roberts



Today is (ahem) "oversubscribed" at work, but while I usually don't post from work I left a slot for initial thoughts (so you're atypically getting this in real time). The SCOTUS Obamacare decision is an utter catastrophe for the Democratic Party. I'm actually almost speechless in admiration at how Chief Justice Roberts played this one.

Time prevents a complete update now, but here are first impressions:

1. This morning's post was spot on, even more so than I had though when I queued it up last night. This is a political issue, and the SCOTUS forced the issue. The intellectual ju-jitsu that Roberts just did to Nancy Pelosi is crystalline in its beauty. Her approach was to go so big that the court would shy away from the issue. By leaving the law in place as a tax, the Democrats are left with none of the benefits and all of the political cost of this decision. Own it, Nancy.

2. Americans really don't mind taxes when someone else pays them, but they hate taxes when they have to pay. They hate it with the fire of a thousand suns, and while this may be hypocritical of them (give me benefits but don't tax me), that's how the American people roll. This is now declared - as a matter of law - that this is a tax increase on the Middle Class. And a whopping huge one at that. Own it, Nancy.

More @ Borepatch

No comments:

Post a Comment