Friday, June 15, 2012

Mob attacks not about race

Via CofCC

Right and Obama was eligible for office........


I have never responded to the columnist down the river.

But I was fascinated by Chicago Tribune columnist John Kass’ take on the recent mob attacks in and around the Streeterville neighborhood.

In his interview with the unidentified doctor who was injured in the attack, Kass asked if the attack was “racial.”

“I don’t think it was racially motivated,” the doctor said. “They were black, I’m Asian, but I think it was something else. I think it was about having fun because they could.”

Still, whether white people are comfortable saying it out loud or choose to keep a lid on their thoughts, a lot of them are wondering if they are being targeted by street mobs because of their race.

Several readers sent me angry emails, saying I didn’t point out that the attackers were black and the victims were white and that makes this a hate crime.

But these mob attacks are not as simple as beating up someone because of their ethnicity.

Because these were not the black-on-black crimes the city has grown accustomed to, that doesn’t mean they were hate crimes.

These were random acts of terrorism.

More @ Chicago Sun-Times

No comments:

Post a Comment