Friday, May 25, 2012

Survivability VS Sustainability

Via hefferman1


Surviving and living long term in the woods.

Dave looks at what it takes to live off the land long term rather than just a 72 hour emergency situation in the woods.

Dave's talk about blades alone is worth the time.

Dave's talk about trapping and getting food will make the difference between making it long term in the woods, or having to give in from starvation.

Dave's talk on cooking is great. Add that to the use of a Dakota Fire Pit and long term sustainability is a real possibility.



Southernprepper1 looks at Dakota Fire Pits.



I took a few days in the woods a while back and used all of these techniques and they work. They would work long term in a guerrilla warfare situation.

I also needed to link to a page on tools for use in a long term woodlands situation.

It is also by Dave Canterbury.



I carry a Victorinox officers model knife, a Leatherman Diesel, my K-Bar, or the home made improved version of a Tom Brown Tracker I designed, a short Axe, a SaberCut Saw, a Gerber saw and clipper set, and a E-tool, a pocket fishing kit, and a frog gig, and a spear tip.

Using those tools which are light weight, I could dig a bunker, a Trench, a Fighting hole, build a temporary shelter, or even a log cabin.

Knowing how to make, and fire clay pots and dishes mean I could make a semi-comfortable home in the woods for long term survivability.

6 comments:

  1. I've always been interested in this subject. One of my favorite books as a kid was MY SIDE OF THE MOUNTAIN.
    Miss Violet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just checked and they made a movie out of it. It has 3 1/2 stars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book was much better no way I'd give the movie more than 3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An excellent and timely post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been watching Dave's videos since he first started making them several years ago, long before he became famous. All have been at least informative, most extremely helpful; and I've taken a lot of them to heart in my gear. He's a great source of info!

    ReplyDelete