Monday, May 28, 2012

Joe Marm MOH, Courage Personified

I thought you might like to see this on my friend Joe Marm who lives in Fremont. He is a Medal Of Honor Winner. Joe is a great guy. A very humble man.

--Cousin John (Pippin)



This was an article that was written on him by my friend Mike Parker last December


Meeting Medal of Honor recipient was a moving experience

Thursday evening, I had the privilege to speak to the Fremont Historical Museum and Preservation Society at the group’s 11th annual fall meeting. I had driven through what seemed in the Thursday evening darkness a labyrinth of back roads to arrive at the Governor Aycock Birthplace.

When I arrived, John Pippin, who invited me to speak, seated Sandra and me at the head table. Then John slid a newsletter my way.

“You may want to read this,” he whispered. “You are sitting at the table with a Medal of Honor recipient.”

Strange feelings of excitement and humility flooded me. As I read, I realized that not only was I seated with a man who received our nation’s highest military decoration, but he had received that recognition for valor he displayed at the Battle of Ia Drang during the Vietnam War.

I doubt most Americans today have Ia Drang on the tip of their tongues. Those who served anywhere in Vietnam will immediately know the name. That battle pitted North Vietnamese regulars in overwhelming force against an infantry unit supported by Air Cavalry. The movie “We Were Soldiers” is about that battle.

2nd Lt. Walter Joseph “Joe” Marm was a platoon leader during the first day of the battle, Nov. 14, 1965. He was promoted to 1st Lieutenant on Dec. 19 of that year, a little more than a month after his actions on the battlefield.

His citation best tells the story. But as you read, please note the words “company” and “regimental.” A company can have anywhere from 80 to 225 soldiers. A regiment has at minimum 3,000.

“As a platoon leader in the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile), 1st Lt. Marm demonstrated indomitable courage during a combat operation. His company was moving through the valley to relieve a friendly unit surrounded by an enemy force of estimated regimental size. 1st Lt. Marm led his platoon through withering fire until they were finally forced to take cover. Realizing that his platoon could not hold very long, and seeing four enemy soldiers moving into his position, he moved quickly under heavy fire and annihilated all 4.

“Then, seeing that his platoon was receiving intense fire from a concealed machinegun, he deliberately exposed himself to draw its fire. Thus locating its position, he attempted to destroy it with an antitank weapon.

“Although he inflicted casualties, the weapon did not silence the enemy fire. Quickly, disregarding the intense fire directed on him and his platoon, he charged 30 meters across open ground, and hurled grenades into the enemy position, killing some of the 8 insurgents manning it. Although severely wounded, when his grenades were expended, armed with only a rifle, he continued the momentum of his assault on the position and killed the remainder of the enemy.

“1st Lt. Marm's selfless actions reduced the fire on his platoon, broke the enemy assault, and rallied his unit to continue toward the accomplishment of this mission. 1st Lt. Marm's gallantry on the battlefield and his extraordinary intrepidity at the risk of his life are in the highest traditions of the U.S. Army and reflect great credit upon himself and the Armed Forces of his country.”

Marm went on to serve for 30 years in the Army. He retired at the rank of colonel. On Sunday he turned 70.

After I did my presentation for the society, I shook hands with many society members who approached me. When Joe Marm reached out his hand, I said I was honored to meet him. Those words were all I could manage – and even those caught in my throat.

He smiled.

Mike Parker is a columnist for The Free Press. You can reach him at
mparker16@suddenlink.net

No comments:

Post a Comment