Thursday, May 3, 2012

Carry Me a Little Farther

Via SHNV

DAILY CONSTITUTIONALIST [AUGUSTA, GA], July 17, 1862, p. 3, c. 2

At the battle of Shiloh, early in the action,I saw a young warrior
by a tree aiming deliberately towards the enemy with a Sharp’s
rifle, and, from curiosity, I rode up to him and asked him who he
was shooting at. The reply was, “at those everlasting Yanks; I
want to put an end to some of them.” I asked him why he did not
advance, and he said, “my leg is broken, but if you will carry me a
little further, I will kill more of them, for I have yet six cartridges.”
This brave fellow, whose leg was afterwards amputated, was
a young Cherokee, formerly from Tahlequah, Cherokee Nation.

Richard Lee Culpepper

Southern Heritage, Fight 
for it Or Lose it!

No comments:

Post a Comment