Saturday, December 17, 2011

Thomas Jefferson vs. The Elites

Old Virginia Blog
Verbatim Post

"Bureaucrats hate the quintessential American culture of family farms. The independence-centered, 'pull yourself up by your boot straps' emphasis on responsibility goes against everything they believe in. Simply put, people who think for themselves and work hard don't live off the government . . . Farming is part of our identity. It is our way of life, our heritage, our patriotism, and the foundation of our generational values. Farming is the essence of our loyalty to our families and our God -- and there is nothing more sacred than that. That's why unelected liberal elites don't want farm kids working on farms."
~
Josiah Cantrall

More here at the American Thinker.

"Cultivators of the earth are the most valuable citizens. They are the most vigorous, the most independent, the most virtuous and they are tied to their country and wedded to its liberty and interests by the most lasting bands."

~ Thomas Jefferson to John Jay 23 August 1785



I could smell the hay and Orchard Grass of my youth as I watched the video.

3 comments:

  1. I still remember how in my younger days I volunteered to help fiends put in their winter hay. Long late afternoons on into the night after a long days work tossing bales onto the truck or wagon then hauling them to the barn. Later not too many years ago I had to stock my own hay to care for the herd of dairy goats we raised that at times reached up to 50-60 head. Those days hauling hay and fire wood took up much of my spare time. Good memories but I also remember the state and federal regulations that drove me away from my dreams of a small dairy business. They have discouraged small family farms for decades...

    ReplyDelete
  2. tossing bales onto the truck or wagon

    Do you remember how many bales high we could throw to the top of the wagon? Seems to me it was 7 or 8? I do remember at the top level, the man there would reach down to snag them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flat bed truck was higher than the wagon by a row or probably two so it varied. When I put my own hay away it was simpler as my neighbors had a kicker on their baler that tossed them onto the wagon and a man rode along just organizing bales. I would show up with a friend and they would park a full trailer on the edge of the field and we would load form the full wagon while they hooked up another and kept baling.I could get 50 bales on my one ton dually and off to the barn we would go...

    ReplyDelete